Districts and Sponsors: Bring a Bootstrap Workshop to your area!
In a Bootstrap workshop, you will...
- Experience the entire curriculum
- Explore the research
- Learn about pedagogy, content and integration with other subjects
You'll work with your peers to discuss content, pedagogy, and spend the day in your students' shoes. You'll have a chance to try activities from every single Bootstrap class. You'll be able to debrief with other teachers, talk pedagogy with the trainers, and try out the materials and software firsthand. And finally, you'll go home with a complete final project that you
- Kahului, HI :: March 16-18th
- Bootstrap:Algebra comes to Hawaii! We will be running a 3-day workshop this March at the University of Hawaii Maui College as a part of GEAR UP Maui.
- San Francisco, CA :: April 29-30th
- We've partnered with San Francisco Unified to bring our Bootstrap:Algebra materials to middle-and high-school math teachers across the city! The PD is available AT NO COST, and is open only to SFUSD teachers. Contact Deborah Apple, firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up.
- Huntington Beach, CA :: May 27-29th
- We're thrilled to bring Bootstrap:Algebra to Huntington Beach UHSD for, the very first time! This workshop is open only to HBUHSD staff, but is completely free for all Math or Computer Science teachers in the district. Learn more...
- Oklahoma City, OK :: June 8-10th
- Bootstrap returns to Oklahoma for our third year of partnership with OK-SDE, developing materials and training Oklahoma teachers interested in integrating Oklahoma math and computer science standards. This workshop is free for Oklahoma teachers!
- Tulsa, OK :: June 29-July 1st
- In our third year of partnership with OK-SDE, we'll be heading to Tulsa to work with area teachers interested in integrating Oklahoma math and computer science standards. This workshop is free for Oklahoma teachers!
- Golden, CO :: July 19-24th
- Bootstrap is a founding member of CSPdWeek, and we're thrilled to return for another great year! Participants can choose from Algebra or Data Science, and get five days of incredible professional development. Come join us on the beautiful CO School of Mines campus, bond with teachers from across the US, and learn Computer Science in the mountains!
- Virtual Data Science Workshop :: July 13-17th
- Given the recent success of our virtual PD model, we are offering an open-registration virtual Data Science PD in the month of July. Participants will meet for 5 hours per day (2.5 hours in each of the morning and afternoon, EST). This virtual workshop will involve significant hands-on work and group discussion, as typical of our in-person workshops. The cost is $500 per participant, with a handful of scholarships available. This workshop is full
- Virtual Algebra Workshop :: July 27-31st
- Given the recent success of our virtual PD model, we are offering an open-registration virtual Algebra PD in the month of July. Participants will meet for 5 hours per day (2.5 hours in each of the morning and afternoon, EST). This virtual workshop will involve significant hands-on work and group discussion, as typical of our in-person workshops. The cost is $500 per participant, with a handful of scholarships available. This workshop is full
Conferences and Presentations
You can also find us at a number of events throughout the year, including:
- Santa Fe, NM :: March 6-7, 2020
MidSchool Math National Conference
We'll be presenting a 60 minute session on "Bootstrap: Computer Science & Algebra."
- Virginia Commonwealth University :: March 13, 2020
Veteran Bootstrap teacher Kristina Burke presents her classroom work with Bootstrap:Algebra, and its impact on Fairfax Public School students. Her presentation will be from 11:30am-12:45pm in Grace E. Harris room 2110. Come join her!
Depending on your district and the workshop being offered, you may be eligible to receive professional development credits for your participation, or even compensation
for qualified attendees.
Bootstrap is a registered PDP (Professional Development Point) provider in the state of Massachusetts, for both math
and science and technology
teachers. Your time spent in a Bootstrap workshop will count towards your PDPs - just make sure you receive our certificate at the end of the training.
Bootstrap is a registered CPE (Continuing Professional Education) provider in the state of Texas. You will receive a certificate at the end of the training that includes our CPE provider number, which you can submit to TEA at the end of each year to receive your CPE credits.
Our Master trainers are fully-qualified to lead a complete Bootstrap workshop, having run Bootstrap professional development for years.
- Emmanuel Schanzer
- Ed Campos
- Jennifer Poole
- Emma Youndtsmith
Apprentice trainers co-lead workshops alongside master trainers, and lead mini-sessions and follow-up PD for teachers across the country.
- Eric Allatta
- Adam Newall
- Jilian Reynolds
- Joyce Phelan
Endorsed trainers have attended a Train-the-Trainer session, and have facilitated portions of the Bootstrap PD when working with teachers. They are certified to run Bootstrap trainings in specific regions.
- Allen Antoine (TX)
- Servane Demol (CA)
- Jennifer Rollins (TX)
- Jeffrey Strom (TX)
Los Altos, CA :: February 18-20th, 2020
Austin, TX :: February 17-19th, 2020
Marshalltown, IA :: December 12-14th, 2019
Oklahoma City, OK :: September 26-28th, 2019
Bend, OR :: August 12-14th, 2019
Austin, TX :: July 29-August 1st, 2019
Dallas, TX :: July 22-26th, 2019
Golden, CO :: July 22-26th, 2019
Cleveland, OH :: June 26-28th, 2019
Providence, RI :: June 24-26th, 2019
Phoenix, AZ :: June 17-21st, 2019
Oklahoma City, OK :: June 10-12th, 2019
Albuquerque, NM :: June 3-7th, 2019
Austin, TX :: May 20-23rd, 2019
Chicago, IL :: May 2-4th, 2019
Palo Alto, CA :: April 10-12th, 2019
Santa Fe, NM :: March 4-6th, 2019
Visalia, CA :: October 2-4th, 2018
Chicago, IL :: September 27-29th, 2018
Cleveland, OH :: September 12-14th, 2018
Brentwood, CA :: August 6-8th, 2018
New York City, NY :: August 7-9th, 2018
Bloomington, IN :: July 15th-20th, 2018
Beaumont, TX :: July 11th-13th, 2018
San Diego, CA :: June 26-29th, 2018
Providence, RI :: June 25-27th, 2018
San Antonio, TX :: June 11-13th, 2018
Tulsa, OK :: June 5-7th, 2018
Albuquerque, NM :: June 4-8th, 2018
Oxnard, CA :: May 30th-June 1st, 2018
New York City, NY :: April 3-5th, 2018
Chicago, IL :: March 1-3rd, 2018
New York City, NY :: February 20-23rd, 2018
Cleveland, OH :: October 4-6th, 2017
Providence, RI :: September 27-29th, 2017
Washington, DC :: September 25-26th, 2017
Chicago, IL :: August 22-24th, 2017
Edinburg, TX :: August 9-11th, 2017
Golden, CO :: July 17-21st, 2017 (CSPdWeek!)
Providence, RI :: June 26-28th, 2017
Los Angeles, CA :: June 19-21st, 2017
Spring Branch, TX :: June 12-14th, 2017
Washington, DC :: June 1-2nd, 2017
Austin, TX :: May 16-18th, 2017
Minneapolis, MN :: April 3-5th, 2017
San Antonio, TX :: March 23-25th, 2017
New York City, NY :: February 21-23rd, 2017
Swarthmore, PA :: November 10-12th, 2016
Everett, WA :: October 8-10th, 2016
Los Angeles, CA :: August 10-12th, 2016
Chicago, IL :: August 3-5th, 2016
New York, NY :: August 1-5th, 2016
Golden, CO :: July 18-22nd, 2016 (CSPdWeek!)
New York City, NY :: July 12-14th, 2016
Providence, RI :: June 27-29th, 2016
Houston, TX :: June 27-28th, 2016
Los Angeles, CA :: June 20-22nd, 2016
Dallas, TX :: May 14, 16 & 17th, 2016
New York City, NY :: April 26-28th, 2016
Everett, WA :: April 18-19th, 2016
Sunnyvale, CA :: March 17-19th, 2016
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN :: February 23-25th, 2016
New York, NY :: January 8-9th, 2016
Cleveland, OH :: October 26th-27th, 2015
San Jose, CA :: September 17-19, 2015
Minnetonka, MN :: August 26-27, 2015
New York, NY :: August 19th-21st, 2015
New York, NY :: August 17th-18th, 2015
Framingham, MA :: August 10-12th, 2015
Philadelphia, PA :: August 5-7th, 2015
Austin, TX :: July 20th-22nd, 2015
Pasadena, CA :: June 15th-16th, 2015
New York City, NY :: April 7th-9th, 2015
New York City, NY :: February 27th-28th, 2015
Waltham, MA :: February 16th-18th, 2015
Charles County, MD :: July 21st-22nd, 2014
Holyoke, MA :: August 4th-5th, 2014
Chicago, IL :: August 11th-12th, 2014
New York City, NY :: August 20th-21st, 2014
Chicago, IL :: June 23th-24th, 2014
Waltham, MA :: June 25th-27th, 2014
San Francisco, CA :: June 19th-20th, 2014
Ft. Lauderdale, FL :: June 9th-10th, 2014
San Francisco, CA :: May 17th, 2014
Anne Arundel, MD :: August 8th, 2013
Miami, FL :: July 23rd-24th, 2013
Boston, MA :: July 17th, 2013
Providence, RI :: June 24th, 2013
Anne Arundel, MD :: April 12th, 2013
Oneonta, NY :: March 9th, 2013
Fairfax, VA :: October 20th, 2012
Seattle, WA :: August 10th, 2012
Irvine, CA :: July 9th, 2012
Palo Alto, CA :: June 16th, 2012
Washington, DC :: June 9th, 2012
Boulder, CO :: April 21st, 2012
Chicago, IL :: April 13th, 2012
Anne Arundel, MD :: April 11th, 2012
Napa, CA :: March 18th, 2012
Austin, TX :: February 25th, 2012
Houston, TX :: November 11th, 2011
"It's a completely contained, self-differentiating, modular set of lessons that you can use to fit your needs. There's a low floor, no ceiling, and the potential for higher-order thinking is very high."
"I was lucky enough to attend the workshop in Chicago. What a WONDERFUL USEFUL PD day -- the first one in a long while to get me excited about teaching Algebra for the 20th year. If you do come back -- I would love to know about it."
-- Aimee Smith, Chicago Public Schools
"Bootstrap is groundbreaking in terms of meaningfully integrating CS into core subjects (in this case algebra) and packaging it in a way that is immediately accessible and understandable to students and teachers. I feel like this program is a benchmark to strive for when it comes to finding ways to integrate programming principles in schools, and was delighted by the emphasis on the importance of integrating math/programming as a means of equity. Teachers with whom I work routinely ask for programming resources that are tied to core subjects and Bootstrap is nailing that connection."
"I loved the HANDS-On approach! Getting the computer into my hands and actually doing the programming was so important to me."
"Thank you for the wonderful learning experience surrounding the Bootstrap Program. It was a fantastic demonstration of how our teachers can teach algebraic concepts within a real-world application that is personally significant to many of our students. There were so many wonderful things that teachers had to say about their experience."
-- Julie Staton, Lake County Public Schools
"Amazing! Best math workshop I've ever attended! I can't wait to use this with our students."
-- Dana Kirby, Anne Arundel Public Schools
"I wanted to tell you what a great PD you presented. It was probably the very best I've been a part of (and I've been to lots!). I can very clearly see how I could implement this with my students. I can't wait to see if I can get them engaged a little more than usual and have them making connections a little more deeply than usual."
-- Carol Mann, Ceiba College Prep Middle School